Welcome!!!!!!!

Welcome to my blog. It has become therapy for me and I hope you laugh and cry when reading it. Why cry? Because that is what I want to do on a daily basis because I am either laughing hysterically or becuase I don't know what else to do and murder is still illegal! Enjoy!

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Biology 101

This is a two for one! I know it's Throwback Thursday but I have a few recent comments that fit right in . . . .
When Andrew was a baby we said we wanted to make sure he knew the correct terms for his body parts. And we meant it - not like my uncle who said he would teach my cousin the right terms and not use any "silly names" . . . . who wound up making up names for everything. That still makes my mom laugh!
Anyway, some of you know that I used to volunteer (and eventually work) for AIDS Rochester. As a volunteer I would go to different schools - mainly high schools - and give talks on HIV/AIDS and staying safe. At my lovely alma mater, I started out talking in health classes. On World AIDS Day I was asked to come in and give a couple of talks - so I ended up talking to the entire school during three or four assemblies. When I worked at ARI, I was constantly talking to clients about . . . . private issues (I am trying to stay G rated). Yes, there is a point to this! The point is, I am not bothered when it comes to talking about certain things. So when it came time to teach the boys correct terms, that was a piece of cake!
BUT . . . . . when I worked at ARI, we had a funny term that was used in the staff room - Manly Unit. GO ahead, laugh. It's funny. In a job like that humor is needed. Well, we started to use it around Andrew and Timmy when they were really little - and they started to use it, too. Yes, they learned the correct term, but Manly Unit is freaking hysterical - especially coming from a two year old.
Now when it was bathtime, Rich invented a new term . . . . undercarriage. He needed to make sure things were washed and rinsed so he told them to stand up so their undercarriage could rinsed! Wellllllllll, it was fine until they learned how funny farts are. Once, someone said "Oh Nelly!" right after one of the boys let one go (and promptly peeled the paint in the kitchen walls). The term "Oh Nelly!" took off! Add all of that together and you wind up with adults rolling on the floor laughing with tears running down their faces - ultimately encouraging the innocent little two and three year olds in front of them. I believe the exact quote was, "Daddy! Did you know Oh Nelly's come from my under carriage!" . . . . . followed by the next statement (seriously - same conversation) . . ."EWWW! Timmy just rrrriiiiiippppppppppppped one!".
*sigh* It's only gotten worse!

Now for the more recent comments from Timmy . . . .
He is very in gymnastics (remember the training for London 2012?!). We enrolled him in a class at a real gymnastics training center. No, we don't think we have the next Nadia or Mary Lou - wait, wrong gender. You get what I mean! It's something that he is good at, enjoys, and needs to learn how to do things safely. Aren't I such a killjoy?
Lately he has been practicing his headstand and handstand - he is bound and determined to learn a front handspring on his own. The little snot is actually pretty close to learning it, too! One day he fell over (which has become his new hobby - he is the king of pratfalls) and started laughing. It was pretty funny so we all laughed - and then he announced that he had fallen on his ....................
Buttcushion.
I don't know - don't even try to ask. I guess it goes along with his headcap, and elbowpad - all of which are part of his body but certainly aren't part of mine!   

No comments:

Post a Comment